The G&M Hospital was founded in 1887 as an eight-bed facility in the community of Collingwood, Ontario. Back then it was known as the Collingwood General & Marine Hospital because in addition to caring for the people in the Collingwood area, it was also one of the few Hospitals, because of the prevalence of communicable diseases, that would accept sailors of the Great Lakes as patients.
Today the G&M Hospital serves the Georgian Triangle, which encompasses Collingwood, Wasaga Beach, Clearview Township and The Town of the Blue Mountains. Besides being one of the top four-season resort areas in Ontario, the Georgian Triangle is also one of the fastest growing areas in Canada.
The G&M Hospital is a 74-bed facility serving more than 60,000 permanent residents and 2.5 Million annual visitors to the communities of Wasaga Beach, Collingwood, Stayner, Creemore and the Blue Mountains. The G&M is an acute care hospital providing emergency care, diagnostic services including lab, imaging and cardio respiratory therapy, as well as two inpatient units (medicine and surgery).
In addition, the G&M also provides care in speciality areas including obstetrics, orthopaedics, intensive care and surgery. The Hospital also provides out patient care including dialysis and a wide range of clinics including mental health and rehabilitation services. The G&M continues to provide care close to home for our community and plays a key role as an integrated orthopaedic centre for our region.
The Hospital is also an integral part of the North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Network, which is made up of 8 Hospitals in our region. By working co-operatively with other Hospitals, the G&M Hospital can maximize its efficiencies, reduce costs and ensure that the people of the area are educated about their own health and always have access, within the region, to the health services they require.